It's the Little Things

Monday 14 October 2019


Christmas mornings. 21st Birthday parties. Roller coaster rides and West End shows and reuniting with friends after a long time apart. These things are bloody wonderful. But sometimes, maybe we need to give the most credit to those little things we rely on to make us happy every day. On those ordinary days, they have the potential to pick us up and surprise us with joy.

Sometimes, life can give you quite a few knocks and seem pretty relentless in doing so, so it’s always good to have these things in your bank.


Coffee shops: I’ve put this one first as I think it’s what inspired this blog post in the first place. Going and sitting in a coffee shop, or even stopping in and getting a takeaway coffee, is one of my favourite little rituals. I love sitting and chatting with friends, or working there. I love walking in and smelling the ground coffee. I love the cosy atmosphere. And, of course, I love the coffee! My first one of the day never fails to make my soul smile, and send a little thrill through me.





Listening to music: I honestly don’t know what I would do without the healing powers of music. I can feel at my lowest, and suddenly everything seems so much more hopeful when I stick on a favourite album. I’ve often found myself thinking: ‘Everything will be alright as long as I have this.’ Recently, it’s been the Evita soundtrack, or First Aid Kit (aptly named). In general, though, I go for Rufus Wainwright.


The sound of the rain: In fact, it’s raining right now as I write this. But then again, I do live in Bristol, and since coming back to university this year there hasn’t been a day it hasn’t rained! But I honestly do not mind that, as I’m happier in the rain than in the sun. For some reason, it’s always cheered me up, and I think a big part of it is feeling really cosy indoors, and listening to the rain pattering on the windows. I love being cosy in bed with the sound sending me to sleep…



A cup of tea: Ending on a simple one. Simple, yet so wonderful. First thing in the morning, it hugs me and wakes me up. On the way to a lecture on a rainy day, its strong, sweet taste warms me and keeps me going. It’s my ritual when I get in from classes, and before bed it comforts me and makes me feel at home.


Little things like this are our own personalised pockets of happiness, bringing joy in the simplest of ways, unassuming but essential.


What are your everyday pick-me-ups?

Evie x

4 comments

  1. lovely lovely post Ev. I enjoy all these thing immensely. Other things that cuddle my soul include: Fresh bread, walking in the morning when the air is sharp and clean and of course coming home and feeling the weights lift of my shoulders when I see my lovely flatmates x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hebes.
      That's so sweet, all lovely pick-me-ups too. Xx

      Delete
  2. Ah 'personal pockets of happiness' is so lovely to say - new catchphrase here I come!!
    Love all of these things, there is 100% no better place to work than in a cafe with you... in fact, we're doing it right now x

    ReplyDelete

Instagram

© Evie Pondering. Design by FCD.