Let's 'Face' It: My Current Skincare and Make-up

Friday 17 July 2020

Are you getting bored of these punny titles yet?


I definitely need to start off this post by stating that I do not know much about skincare or make-up at all. I’ve never been much good at maintaining a skincare regime that I lovingly do every morning and night, and I'm not a beauty guru, always aware of the best products to use. 

But I do enjoy it. Where skincare's concerned, I have been trying to get better at it, have built up more of a ritual and am using some lovely products. And I've recently made some new make-up discoveries that have really impressed me. So in this post I'll be sharing some of the products I've been really enjoying using at the moment.


Clinique - 3-step Daily Care Routine

A couple of months ago I bought a few bits from Clinique so I could start properly using their 3-step Daily Care routine. I got given the set a couple of Christmases ago, but was never that good at sticking to the three steps every day, and I’m trying to change that now and properly start doing it. So this is basically what my regime consists of at the moment and it's been going pretty well so far!

One of the main reasons why I’m not very "good" at skincare is because I find it all quite overwhelming – there are so many products that all do different things, and I don’t know what bits I need to include. So what I liked about this is that Clinique seem to cover all the bases for you. 



Step 1 is to cleanse your face using the liquid facial soap. It is light, not perfumed and really gentle for the skin. I feel like my face gets a really good wash when using this. I like that it's a simple, gentle face wash, as you don't need anything more than this.


Step 2 is to use an exfoliating clarifying lotion that I love because it is quite alcoholic so feels like it’s doing a really good job of getting rid of all the dirt on your face. And you only need a small amount as it's so strong, so it will last a good while. 

The only thing I did realise is that formula (number 2) is for Dry/Combination skin and my skin is on the oily side (and to be honest has been a little more oily at the moment - I do not know if this is the reason or not). So when I repurchase I'll change to the Oily/Combination formula.


Step 3 is to apply the moisturiser, and this is the product I am most impressed with, because you only need one tiny pump and it is enough to cover your whole face. It feels so light, hydrating, not greasy at all, and it has SPF in it. I am actually using the gel, rather than the lotion, as they were out of stock in the lotion. And, from using the moisturiser a while ago, I think I can say I prefer the gel, as it seems that a small amount goes further, and feels nicer on the skin. 

To be honest, I haven't seen any miraculous changes yet, and don't particularly expect to (cos hormones etc.) but I trust the brand that it's doing some good for my skin, and I really enjoy the ritual. Clinique is more pricey, and I would normally refrain from spending a lot of money. But I bought these products near the beginning of lockdown as a little treat to myself and I think if I'm going to spend a bit more money on something, skincare is a good investment. Spending a bit more normally means you're buying the expert stuff, and I really trust their products. 


The Body Shop - Drops of Youth Cream

I don't really need a youth cream (no bragging intended, I just mean cause I'm 21 so probably don't need to start using one just yet), but I use this product as a simple moisturiser too.


I love this because it feels so light, cool, so moisturising...and it smells AMAZING. Let's be honest, that's the main reason I love using it. And, later in life, I'll probably thank myself for using it earlier!

I don't use it every day, I use it once or twice a week before I go to bed, and whenever I do I just can't stop smelling it! I recently ran out of my first pot so asked for more for my birthday, I don't want to be without it now! 


The Body Shop - Camomile Sumptuous Cleansing Butter

I actually got this because I saw it going round social media and lots of people were using it. I asked for it one Christmas and ended up getting three tins, so I've got a good stock now!


The cleanser works to... cleanse the face, obviously, but also 'melt away' makeup.

I would say you need to work it in quite well (but carefully) to get rid of eye makeup, and sometimes it does feel a little greasy. But I still really like this product. I like that it's easy to use (you just rub it all over your face and rinse) and you feel like your face is getting a really good clean, with a gentle product.

Again, it smells lovely and fresh (they really have mastered great scents!), and The Body Shop is, again, a company that I trust to make products that are kind to the skin.


Clinique - Even Better Foundation 

I purchased this foundation when I bought the Clinique skincare products. I wanted to try a new foundation, as I had been wearing just concealer and powder because I thought not using foundation would benefit my skin and was all I really needed. But I'd gotten into the habit of just putting a lot of concealer everywhere, basically using it like a foundation. So I thought it would be good to get a proper foundation that could give me a good even coverage.


And wow, this foundation is amazing. It's 'even better' than I could've imagined. Ha.

I guess you get what you pay for, cause it is expensive and it is a very small bottle (although it is actually the same amount as a No7 foundation, just in a smaller bottle...)

I've not been wearing makeup really whilst in lockdown, and I definitely want to savour this until I'm going out more, but I have used it a few times as it's so good I can't help myself! And, although I want to savour it, you do only need a small amount (less than other foundations I've used), and I've been amazed at how far it goes. The coverage is great, and it goes on so easily.

To be honest, I could probably do with the next lightest shade (I'm a red-haired ghost), but it's not that bad.


Bobbi Brown - Illuminating Moisture Balm

I've never used Bobbi Brown products before as they are more high-end, and I got this tiny little tube as a Christmas present. Yet again, although it's something that I'm really savouring, I have been amazed at how little you need for impact!



I love this product because it's multi-purpose, so you can choose how you want to use it: as a primer for a natural glow, or a highlight. I've just used it on my cheekbones so far, and it gives such a natural, glowy highlight. It feels lovely on the skin as it's moisturising too. Although Bobbi Brown doesn't scream every-day use to a student's bank balance, this is perfect for an everyday glow, rather than a going-out highlight.

By the way, I just thought I'd quickly mention that I realise quite a few of the products I'm showing are more high-end and expensive. I've used, and normally use, so many amazing high-street products, and you can get pretty much the same results with a lot of them. But a few of the products I have invested a bit more in or have received as gifts, I have been really impressed with.


Maybelline - The Rocket Volum' Express Mascara

Having just given that little disclaimer above, I end on a high-street product. Among a sea of high-end, expensive mascaras all claiming to give you long, thick luscious lashes, this maybelline one is my fave and gives me the best results. It's one I always return to, and even though I've been using it for ages, I'm still surprised when I put it on! So I had to include it in this list.


It is intense and thick, and does take a lot of makeup remover to remove, but it makes my lashes look so thick and long.



So, that's it. A, let's face it, complete amateur's ramble about her current beauty products. I hope you found this post interesting, and I hope if you do choose to take some of my recommendations, you're not disappointed (I don't know what I'm talking about and I have a lawyer).


Lots of love, as always,

Evie x



2 comments

Instagram

© Evie Pondering. Design by FCD.